Sunday, September 15, 2013

Reading Stamina



I’ve been working with my students on how to read to self, the concept comes from the text, The Daily 5 written by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser. Students and I created an I-Chart together in which we discussed why we read to self, what students will be doing during read to self time and what the teacher will be doing during read to self time. After creating the I-Chart students can begin practicing read to self. Each day as we practice, I track their reading stamina. I describe to students that stamina is how long you can doing something for without stopping, therefore we are going to see how long we can read without stopping. Each day I track the amount of minutes my class reads to self and all students are held accountable. If one student is not practicing the read to self behaviors on the I-Chart, I stop the timer. The goal is that each day our stamina increases and we track our stamina until we get to our big goal, which is 15 minutes. If you’re interested, check out the stamina graph I use with my students!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, I just finished introducing stamina to my third graders. I am totally going to use the stamina graph to have my students keep track of their reading. Thank you so much for sharing this great resource! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a great idea to make the chart to help each student visualize and understand what the roles of the teacher and student consist of.

    ReplyDelete